Translate

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

On the water report

Flow from Boysen dam is 895cfs +/-

Just wrapped up 7 days fishing with Rodger from PA. He guided me into a couple nice browns on the hopper and I like to think I put him on a few fish too, but sometimes it's hard to tell who the boss really is. We endured some shitty weather, lots of boats, and few picky risers... with the exception of yesterday.

We waited til about noon and hit the water. Action on the hopper was pretty good right off the bat, dingin em here and there, but we ran into a lull about half way thru and you could feel the excitement fizzle. Then we started to see them around 3. One sailboat, then another, and another. The fish began to take notice and then one rise, then another, and another. Soon the tiny sailboats seemed to cover the surface, their slate wings twitching ever so lightly to dry. Our first fall baetis hatch was under way, and there we were, Rodger and me, surrounded by rising fish. The hatch wasnt so thick you couldnt pick out your flies from the naturals, but almost, and at times all ya had was a blind cast and it usually paid off. Undoubtedly the most fish I've seen up on dries since May.

I'd like to see some more shitty days in the forecast.

Also, nymphing has been productive. Some days it seems like theyre eating everything, and some days it seems like they're not eating anything.

And I'll bet ya streamer fishing could be good. I'd go with olive or white or both.
Big browns on dries. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment